This course is a quick read. It includes an ebook reinforcing the lessons here. This course expires in 2 weeks.
Your Course 2
This lesson explores course content
Your Course 3Section 3
VYou can download an ebook to reinforce what you've learned here
Your Cour 4Section 4
Here's an opportunity to give your advice and suggestions
Your Course Lesson 1
Create Your Own Course – Tools
To do something specific, you always need the right “Tools” to implement your ideas, especially online.
What I share with you here may appear complicated, but connecting the “dots” will be easier as you go through this training. Also, it will depend on the WordPress theme you’re using because the design layouts and features will vary.
I doubt you can do this on free blog platforms such as eBlogger if you are using one, or others because they tend to control what elements you can or can’t add or delete on their platform.
This is why it’s really best to OWN your own blog. Find a hosting service (I recommend dreamhost.com), pay an annual fee or monthly, choose a word press theme and add what you want without being censored.
When designing your own course on your blog you MUST have the ability to create custom “Sidebars”. Without this feature it will be impossible to create a private area away from your regular posts and pages (see the image below – the blog flow).
Always create your course on pages because they are static and will always remain in the same location on your blog unlike posts.
And, I am here to help and support you, answer any questions you may have to get your own course up and running.
Now, Let’s start with the tools you’ll need:
- Email sutoresponder – GetResponse, Aweber, etc.
- Landing Page creator. I use instabuilder 2.0 (I am an affiliate for this product) which has pre-designed pages and funnels all set up. You just add your text and images. It’s a one time annual fee so there’s no recurring billing. NOTE: You can also turn a page on your website into a Landing Page if you’re on a budget and don’t want to spend extra money for programs like Instabuilder. Just create your text, add an email opt-in box, and a pay pal button – if you need help with this, let me know.
- Pay Pal business account
- A Graphics program like Canva.com . you’ll need a program like this to create promotional images and banners for your course
- Blog Theme: You want to be using a blog theme that has the option to create custom sidebars. This will make your course content hard to access to the general public. You’ll need to create a custom sidebar for your course.
- NOTE: Some blog themes have the option to create a “Wide” page with no sidebars, this is great for creating your own “Landing Page” without having to purchase any programs. I use My Theme Shop themes because they’re easy to set up, and have a custom sidebar option and very user friendly.
- Learn Press – is a plugin to create a professional course on your blog. Just search for it in the wordpress plugin directory.
- Email Auto-responder
- Landing Page program (optional because you can create a “Landing Page” on a blog page or get something like Instabuilder)
- Pay Pal Business account
- Graphics program
- Blog theme with custum sidebars (My Theme Shop)
- Blog theme with a “No Sidebar” feature which makes a page wide – great for creating a “Landing Page” or a page template “Wide”.
- Learn Press Plugin (which is what is being used currently for this course on my blog)
- WP in Post Ads – plugin by My Theme Shop. This will show your ads within a post automatically. It’s a time saver because you set up the plugin with your Ads and then it automatically inserts them in posts. This is a paid plugin – they may have a free version.
- WP Shortcode Pro – (optional, purchase at My Theme Shop)
- Learn Press Plugin
The first two plugins listed above can be purchased on My Theme Shop Look under “Plugins” on their menu. I am an affiliate.
If you don’t have a PayPal account, please get one. This is how you monetize your website. PayPal is very easy to use. Create a PayPal button, get the html code and paste into your promotion page.
The Set Up
- Create a new email list/campaign in your email auto-responder. Name this new list or campaign the name of your course. You will need to create an AUTORESPNDER message that sign-ups will get immediately. This will be a “Welcome” message with details to the course you create on your website including: Links to the course and passwords. All the pages (not posts) you create for your course should have different passwords for each page of your course for access. The passwords should be noted in your “Welcome” auto-responder email message and instructions to save this email because it should be the only place where the passwords are given out. So sign-ups must save the welcome email. Make sure you emphasize this in your welcome message. * Passwords* are easy to create – when you create your page, in the editor, look at the sidebar to your right where the “PUBLISH” button is. In that section there is a choice where you can edit this page to “PRIVATE” and create a “PASSWORD” for this page. OR – you can use the Learn Press Plugin where you can use PayPal, send purchase emails , etc. for a more professional looking course.
- Create and get your promotional images and banners ready to use
- Create your Landing Page with email opt-in, and Pay Pal button (very easy to create).
- Turn off social media on your course pages because you want your course to stay private and not accessible to the general internet. Use social media to PROMOTE your course and adding your banner Ads in your posts on your blog.
The following below images and video show you how I created this course using Learn Press. You have 2 options:
- Build your course using custom sidebars
- Create your course with Learn Press
Most likely you have a standard blog design where the sidebar is usually on the left side. Again, check your blog theme for a “Custom Sidebar” feature.
If you look to the left side, you’ll see colored buttons in the sidebar. These buttons were created with the “WP Shortcode Pro” – this is an excellent plugin to use.
- This image shows the custom sidebar feature (on this eCom blog) where you can add a new sidebar which will show up in the widgets area.
2. Once you create your new sidebar, named with your course name, it will automatically show up on the widgets page. This is where you’ll place anything you want to show up on THIS sidebar only. And now one will be able to access the content with out the words.
3. Here’s where you set the sidebar and password protection in your page editor (do not use “Posts” for your course only pages).
4. How did I create those colorful buttons? Here’s where I used the plugin “WP Shortcode Pro”. I chose the “Button” feature, added what I wanted, then inserted the code in the main post where you signed-up and paid for this course.
5. Watch the video for the “How To” in using the WP Shortcode Pro to create sidebar buttons for your course
6. Here is a visual of the flow of your website:
Are you ready to move on to – Planning Content ?
Click below right to continue
Have questions? Let me know …